Many people, these days, have become disillusioned with our political system, and politicians, because, it seems, very little emphasis is placed on reaching an essential meeting – of – the – minds, for the greater good, and too much emphasis and focus, is on a personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest! Although, individuals on, either extreme of the political spectrum (the so – called, right – wing, versus, progressive wing), appear, extremely involved, and, in some cases, dangerously – committed, those in the middle, more – and – more, feel, concerned about the present, and well as sustainability, into the future! Nearly – every polls, and/ or, public opinion survey, indicates, politicians, in – general, are held in low – esteem, the loyalists of the extremists, appear, more involved and activated, than ever – before, in recent memory! The guiding – light of this nation, has always been its Constitution, and the guarantees, it creates, regarding freedoms, rights, liberties, and justice, for – all, yet, many times, we fail to address, the apparent, numerous attempts, to take them away, limit them, or, apply them, selectively! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 concerning aspects, of what we are witnessing.
1. Many voters have lost confidence in elections, and the system: The longer – term impact of the attempt to cast doubt, on the last Presidential election, despite a record number of recounts, court appeals, and constant rhetoric, has, perhaps, inspired the core supporters of the last President, but, also, created an atmosphere, where our concept of free – and – fair elections, seems, in – jeopardy, and doubt! Without, considerable belief, by our citizens, in this essential concept, our system suffers!
2. Don’t think Courts are fair: Many feel our Courts, especially Federal ones, do not offer the essential checks – and – balances, we need! President Trump appointed a record number of Federal Judges, as well as three Supreme Court Justices, and it appears, political partisanship, was an essential component, in his considerations. Decades – old principles, and the rule – of – law, in cases, such as, Roe v Wade, are presently, at – risk, and the guiding principle of the Founding Fathers, Separation of Church and State, are being ignored, in many areas!
3. Nothing changes/ gets done: When the U.S. Senate is described, by the former – Senate Majority Leader, apparently, proudly, as the place with legislations, comes, to die, many feel, nothing ever changes, and/ or, gets done, even, when it comes to the most – relevant, sustainable issues (such as addressing Climate Change, protecting the environment, ensuring Clean Air and Water, public health protections, sane gun – safety control measures, infrastructure, education, equal rights and justice, etc)
4. Money has too much influence: Political Action Committees (PAC), campaign financing/ fund – raising, etc, seems to have, far – too much influence, over office holders!
5. The perils of the Blame (and Complain) game: While some politicians use blaming and complaining, as part of their empty rhetoric, vitriol, and promises, to attract supporters, based on their fears, hatred, prejudice/ bigotry, isn’t that, dangerous to the so – called, American way of life?
Wake up, America, and demand, changes, sooner, rather than later! We cannot afford to delay, or procrastinate!